Few instincts are stronger than a parent’s desire to protect their child from danger, which is why it’s important to teach your children the correct way to use kitchen knives. The most important thing to stress to young ones about kitchen knives is that they are tools, not toys.
Here’s an example of something you should never do with young children and kitchen knives:
Of course, the best way to encourage your children to safely use kitchen knives is to lead by example. Here are a few tips
(1) Make sure you always point knives away from yourself while carrying them.
(2) Always use cutting boards that are sturdy and reliable.
(3) Make sure you never leave knives unattended.
(4) Be conscious of your body language and posture when you are using kitchen knives around young children, as they will learn from example. Be mindful to show caution, for their sake and yours.
(5) When you are ready to allow your children to begin using kitchen knives, first start them with a plastic knife and have them cut foods like cheese and butter. Show them how to hold the handle correctly and how to keep their fingers out of the way. Once they progress, you can move them onto a butter knife, and then, once that is mastered, allow them to progress to a kitchen knife.
(6) Always supervise children when they are using kitchen knives.
Want a few more tips? Check out this cool video from FitforFeast, which has 10 kitchen knife safety tips for kids.