Knife Knowledge Center
Can you correctly define a compound bevel grind or accurately point to the quillon? Are you trying to figure out how to pick out the best hunting knife or diving knife? If so, you’ve come to the right place.
Learning the ins and outs of knives is one of the most important things you can do. Not only will it help you make more informed decisions when buying a knife but it will also give you the knowledge needed to interact with your fellow knife enthusiasts.
Our resident experts have assembled some of the most detailed guides and articles that’ll turn you from a knife novice into a knife expert. Check them out below.
Knife Buying Guides
Whether you need more information on what to look for in a survival knife or want some recommendations on the best pocket knives, our knife buying guides offer up everything you need to know
- Machete Buying Guide - We've assembled the ultimate machete buying guide, complete with history, different variations, recommendations, and more.
- 20 Iconic Knives Every Knife Enthusiast Should Own - In some form or another, knives have been around for millions of years, but only a select few have truly transcended the ranks to become
- The Complete Hunting Knife Buying Guide - This guide has everything you ever need to know about the hunting knife, from its rich history to its many uses and characteristics.
- A Guide to Pocket Knife Blade Steel - This guide aims to help you make a more informed choice regarding blade steel. Most of the points apply equally to folding and fixed blade knives, especially smaller fixed blades designed for light/medium cutting.
- How To Choose A Knife Set - Knife sets are indispensable tools for chefs and casual cookers alike. We've compiled a list of what makes a good kitchen set and some of our favorites.
- Knife Depot's Gift Buying Guide - Looking to get your friends and family a unique gift they'll actually use? These gift suggestions will put some bang back in your presents.
- Knife Throwing For Beginners - Thinking about getting into the art of knife throwing? Our introduction to throwing knives teaches you everything you need to know about getting started.
- Pocket Knife Buying Guide - Since pocket knives have been around for so many centuries, they've evolved and branched out into many different styles, leaving you with thousands of models to choose from. Choices are a good thing, but they can also make it overwhelming.
- Purchasing Your First Kitchen Knife Set - Buying your first kitchen knife set can be a daunting purchase. Here are a few tips for choosing your knives.
- The Three Knives You Need in Your Kitchen - You don't need too many tools to get started in your kitchen, but you do need these three knives. Read about this trio of blades and learn how to identify each, when to use it, and how to wield it.
- A Guide To Swords - Throughout the world, hundreds of different types of swords have been forged for a number of purposes, including battle and ceremonial garb. This is a brief guide to some of the most notable types of swords from various regions.
- How to Buy and Use Knife Sharpeners - Learn the key to a long-lasting blade--and your own safety
From using sharpeners to teaching your kids how to respect knives, the articles in this category help teach you helpful tips and tricks.
- How to Choose the Best Hunting Knife - When it comes to hunting, accept nothing but the best. In this article, we break down how to find the best hunting knife for your needs.
- Best Pocket Knife Guide - With thousands of knives on the market, it can be hard to wade through the options to find the best of the best. To make things easier, we created this guide to break down what makes the best pocket knives and included some recommendations.
- How To Choose The Best Survival Knife - Need to make sure you're ready when the going gets tough? Check out our survival knife guide to find the best survival knife for your needs.
- How to Choose a Knife For Everyday Carry (EDC) - In one day, your Everyday Carry needs to be able to cut open fruit and save someone's life. Here's a look at what pocket knives make good EDC knives.
- Giving the Perfect Engraved Pocket Knife - Engraved knives make such useful and memorable gifts for nearly any occasion, including weddings, birthdays, anniversaries or Father's Days. By personalizing the knife with an engraving, you could amp up the impact and sentimentality of the gift.
- Teaching Kids About Knife Safety - It's important to teach knife safety to your kids at a young age. Here are some tips for the best way to instruct your child to safely use knives.
- How to Teach a Child to Use a Knife - The more knowledgeable children are about knives, the less likely they are to use them inappropriately or dangerously. If you're interested in teaching your child how to use a knife, here are some tips you should remember.
- How to Spot a Counterfeit Knife - There's nothing worse than realizing that you've purchased a forged or counterfeit knife. Unfortunately, the counterfeit knife business is quite lucrative, as forged products can be made for as little as $5-$10 and then sold to unsuspecting buyers.
- Tips to Make You a Better Knife Thrower - The following tips are designed to introduce the beginning thrower to the basics of knife throwing.
What’s there to know about the characteristics of a knife? The answer: a ton. Despite seeming simple enough, knives feature tons of variations. These articles aim to dissect a knife to help you better understand its components.
- A Guide to Knife Grinds - The type of grind on your knife affects its level of sharpness and performance. This guide is essential in understanding the edge you have on your knives.
- All About Knife Tangs - The knife tang, the portion of the blade that extends into the handle, is one of the most important characteristics of a fixed blade. These are the different types.
- Anatomy of a Knife - Curious about what actually makes up a knife? We break down the anatomy of the knife and define some key terms.
- Hunting Knife Characteristics - We've broken down some of the key component of hunting knives to help you make an informed decision about your next purchase.
- Swiss Army Knife Tools - Swiss Army knives are quintessential multi-tools that can do nearly anything. Hereï¿½??s a breakdown of all the tools featured in the flagship SwissChamp model.
- Switchblade vs. Assisted Opening Knives - Switchblades and assisted-opening knives are often confused with one another because they tend to look the same to the untrained eye. However, understanding the difference between these two knives is important because switchblades are illegal in most
- Pocket Knife Lock Types - Pocket knives rely on a variety of mechanisms to open and close. Here are explanations of some of the most common pocket knife locks, such as liner locks, frame locks and ring locks.
- Styles of Slip-joint Pocket Knives - Want to know more about the different styles of slip-joint pocket knives? Here's a breakdown of five different popular pocket knife styles: barlow knives, canoe knives, congress knives, elephant's foot knives and stockman knives.
- Knife Blade Shapes - Provides an overview of the main blade shapes and the advantages and disadvantages of each
- Gut Hook Blades - Its purpose is to split the skin of a game animal in gutting operations of field dressing by hooking over the skin, and being pulled along to sever it.
- Trailing Point Blades - Trailing point blades provide a large curved cutting area (belly) and are optimized for slicing or skinning.
- Spear Point Blades - A spear point is a symmetrically pointed blade with a point that is in line with the center line of the blade's long axis
- Needle-Point / Dagger Blades - A dagger / needle-point blade is a double-edged blade whose primary purpose is piercing and stabbing.
- Sheepsfoot Blades - The main purpose of a sheepsfoot blade is for cutting and slicing while minimizing the chances of anything accidentally being pierced by the point
- Tanto Point Blades - If you're looking for a knife that excels at piercing tough materials, then the tanto blade is what you're looking for
- Clip Point Blades - A clip point is one of the most popular blade shapes in use today. The most recognizable knife that features a clip point is the Bowie knife
- Drop Point Blades - A drop point is one of the most popular blade shapes in use today. The most recognizable knife that features a drop point is the hunting knife
- Types of Knives - a summary of the different styles and functions of knives
Knife Brand Breakdown
Hundreds of different companies make knives, with each bringing its own qualities and history to the table. The articles tackle the history of individual brands along with some of their best knives.
- All About KA-BAR Knives - From its interesting origin story to its countless variations, the KA-BAR knife has a rich history. In this article, we break down everything you need to know about KA-BAR Knives, Inc.
- How to Start and Build a Case Knife Collection - Case is an American tradition, which is why so many people love collecting their products. Here's how you can get started collecting Case Knives and what you need to be successful.
- All About Spyderco Knives - Spyderco makes some of the most unique and downright bizarre knife designs you'll see on the market.
- The Ultimate Guide to Old Timer Knives - For more than 50 years, Schrade's Old Timer has been one of the most beloved and respected brands around.
- Breakdown of the Boker Knife Brands - If you're confused by the different brands under Boker, we've got you covered. Here's a breakdown of the five brand names of Boker USA Inc.
General Knife Information
In this section, we cover some of the general knife information that’ll help you learn more about knives, from knife laws at airports to different ways people use swords.
- The Most Exciting Knife Throwers in America - Who are the biggest names in knife throwing right now? Knife Depot has the scoop on our favorite performers and competitors.
- Kitchen Cutlery Storage Options - While knives often take some natural wear and tear from cooking, you can significantly extend the life of your knife by considering how you store them.
- Pocket Knives and Airports - TSA Knife Rules - What happens when you're heading to the airport with your pocket knife?
- The Legality of Assisted-Opening Knives - Under federal law, assisted-opening knives are legal. Here's everything you need to know about the legality of these folders.
- An Introduction to Sword Fighting - Sword fighting is a fun and engaging hobby pursued by thousands of Americans. Whether you're interested in sparing, medieval role play or collecting, sword fighting is a great hobby to pursue.